There are many ways to get rid of termites, but not all of them are created equal. Some methods may be more effective than others, depending on the severity of your infestation and the type of termite you’re dealing with.
In this guide, we will be exploring what exactly termites are, how they enter your home, how to spot a termite infestation, the most popular ways of ridding homes of termites, and then detailing all the possible home remedies for getting rid of termites once and for all, without leaving the comfort of your house.
What are termites and how do they enter your home?
Termites are small, winged insects that live in colonies underground. They are known for their ability to eat wood, which can cause serious damage to homes and other structures. Termites are considered pests in many parts of the world.
There are several different types of termites, but the most common in the United States is the subterranean termite. These termites live in the soil and build mud tubes to reach their food source.
How do they enter your home?
There are a few different ways that termites can enter your home. The most common is through cracks in the foundation or other openings in the structure. Termites can also enter through wood that is in contact with the ground, such as decks or porches. Once they are inside, they will begin to eat the wood of the structure, causing very expensive damage.
How to spot a termite infestation?
There are several warning signs that your home has been infested with termites. One of the most common signs is the presence of winged insects near your home or in your yard. These insects, known as swarmers, are termites that have left their colony in search of a new place to build their nests. Other warning signs include:
–Mud tubes on the exterior of your home: Termites construct these mud tunnels to move between their nests and their food source. If you discover mud tubes on the outside of your property, termites are likely lurking inside.
–Wood that sounds hollow when tapped: If you tap on wood in your home and it sounds hollow, it could be a sign that termites have eaten away the wood from the inside.
–Cracks in your foundation or walls: Termites can cause cracks in your foundation or walls as they tunnel through them.
–Swarmer wings: If you find wings near your home, it’s a good indication that termites are present. Swarmer termites shed their wings after they mate and start a new colony.
What are the most popular ways of getting rid of termites?
For particularly bad infestations, it is best to call an exterminator. These professionals will be able to walk and talk you through various treatment methods that will rid your house of termites.
One popular method for getting rid of termites is to use baits. Baits are specifically designed to kill termites, and they’re usually very effective. There are several different types of baits available, so be sure to ask your exterminator which type would be best for your situation.
Another popular method for getting rid of termites is to use chemicals. Chemical treatments are typically more expensive than baits, but they’re also usually more effective. If you have a severe infestation, your exterminator may recommend fumigation treatment. This type of treatment involves pumping poisonous gas into your home to kill the termites.
Sulfur dioxide is the primary gas used in fumigation treatments for termites. It is a colorless, odorless gas that is highly toxic to insects. When used in a fumigation treatment, sulfur dioxide penetrates the wood and kills the termites that are inside.
Fumigation treatments typically last for around 24 hours. This is because the gas needs time to penetrate the wood and kill the insects inside. After the treatment has been completed, you must vacate your home for at least 24 hours to allow the gas to dissipate.
If you have a medium to small infestation, you may be able to get rid of the termites yourself with some home remedies.
Home Remedies to get rid of termites
There are a few different home remedies that you can try to get rid of termites.
- One way is to use a mixture of equal parts of water and white vinegar. Simply mix the two ingredients and apply them to any areas where you see termites or the possibility of a termite infestation. The vinegar will kill the termites on contact and the water will help to flush them out of your home. You can also use this mixture to prevent termites from coming back in the future. You can also put this mixture into a spray bottle and spray this mixture on the affected area to kill the termites.
- Another way is to use diatomaceous earth. This substance is made up of fossilized algae, and it’s very abrasive. When the termites eat the diatomaceous earth, it will damage their digestive system and eventually kill them. You can purchase diatomaceous earth online or at most hardware stores. Diatomaceous earth can be used to get rid of a termite infestation in your home by applying it to the areas where the termites are active. This will kill the termites that come into contact with the diatomaceous earth and will also help to deter others from entering your home. You will need to reapply the diatomaceous earth every few days to keep the infestation under control.
- You can also try using boric acid, which is a natural insecticide. Boric acid is a white powder that is often used as an antiseptic or insecticide. It can be found in some over-the-counter eye solutions and ear drops. When boric acid is applied to the skin, it can help soothe rashes and other irritating skin conditions. At higher concentrations, boric acid can be toxic if ingested, so it is important to use it only as directed. If you have a termite infestation, you can use boric acid to help get rid of the pests. Boric acid is poisonous to termites and other insects, so it can be used as an insecticide. You can purchase boric acid powder online or at most hardware stores. To use it, simply mix the powder with water and apply it to the affected areas. Be sure to follow the directions on the package carefully and take precautions to avoid contact with your skin or eyes. If you have any concerns, consult with a pest control professional before using boric acid.
- Another popular home remedy is to use Borax powder. Borax powder is a naturally occurring mineral. It is also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate. Borax powder has a wide variety of uses, including cleaning and laundry. When used for laundry, it can help to remove stains and whiten clothes. Borax powder can also be used as a cleaning agent for home surfaces, such as countertops and floors. Additionally, Borax powder can be used to kill pests, such as ants and roaches. Borax powder kills termites by disrupting their digestive systems. When termites eat wood that has been treated with borax powder, they ingest the borax powder along with the wood. The borax powder then interferes with the termites’ ability to break down cellulose, which is a major component of wood. This ultimately leads to the death of the termites. Simply sprinkle the powder around the perimeter of your home, and the termites will eventually ingest it and die.
How to control and prevent household pests such as termites
There are several things you can do to prevent termites from infesting your home:
1. Inspect your home regularly for signs of termite damage, such as wood that is soft or hollow-sounding when tapped.
2. Keep wood piles, mulch, and other potential termite food sources away from the foundation of your home.
3. Repair any cracks or other damage to the foundation of your home, as this can provide an entry point for termites.
4. Make sure that gutters and downspouts are clear and functioning properly, as standing water can attract termites.
5. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, have the chimney inspected and cleaned regularly to prevent a build-up of creosote, which can attract termites.